The Madrid International Auto Show took place between the end of May and the beginning of June 2012 in the exhibition sites of IFEMA (Metro: Campo de las Naciones, Line 8).
Mercedes Benz Conceptstyle Coupe
The fair was organized in different pavilions:
- Mercedes and Smartcar
- BMW and Mini Cooper
- Super Sports Car Exhibition
- Exposition of other manufacturers: Land Rover, Isuzu, Volvo, Infiniti, etc.
In this show, as it is already traditional in this type of fairs, many new features and models were presented:
- In the safety realm, Volvo presented the V40, the first car with a pedestrian airbag through the detection of pedestrians with an automatic brake
- In the hybrid realm, BMW presented BMW Active Hybrid (3,5, and 7) and Infiniti the M35h and Volvo the V60 Plug-In Hybrid, the first hybrid car that can be plugged into a regular electrical current
- We were also able to see novelties in styling, for example, Mini Cooper presented the new Roadster, its first convertible; BMW presented the BMW concept-car Vision ConnectedDrive with all of the components of BMW Connected Driver.
BMW concept-car Vision ConnectedDrive
- In the motorcycle section, BMW presented two BMW Maxi Scooters: the C 600 Sport and the C650 GT
- And as a neat note, in the bicycle section (that we can almost consider as a motorcycle because of its characteristics), SmartCar presented its new electric bicycle, the Smart electric bike, which has a considerable speed range of up to 100 km.
In the Super Sports Car section you could enjoy 18 very admired models among all auto world fanatics: Aston Martin Vantage V8, Jaguar XJ 220, Lotus Exige S, Renault Spider, Audi R8, Morgan 3 Wheeler, Ariel Atom, Lotus Esprit V8 Final Run Edition, Morgan Roadster, Ferrari 575 Maranello M, various Ferraris (F40, 599 GTB Fiorano, 430 Spider), the Maserati Gran Turismo MC Straddle, the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, various Lamborghinis (Gallardo, Murcielago, and Diablo). If we securely review that we realize that we lacked some other manufacturer (Bugatti Veyron, etc), but the truth is that the sample was impressive.
The show also gave us the opportunity to view 2 other cars of interest:
- The Delorean from the film Back to the Future
- The Mini All4 Racing from Team X Raid, with which they won the 2012 Dakar Rally (and you can also see the trophy!).